The City of Tarpon Springs is taking steps to become a “trauma informed community.” Here, Peace4Tarpon partner Mary Sharrow talks about why the work of Peace4Tarpon is so important.
What is Trauma?
- Events/experiences that are shocking, terrifying, and/or overwhelming to the individual.
- Results in feelings of fear, horror, helplessness.
- Extreme stress that overwhelms the person’s capacity to cope.
Sources of Trauma
- Interpersonal violence
abuse, rape, domestic violence,violent crime, gangs, bullying.
- Social violence
war, terrorism, disasters, oppressive political regimes.
- Chronic social stressors
racism, poverty, humiliation, cultural dislocation.
- Historical trauma.
The vision of Peace4Tarpon is for Tarpon Springs to be a trauma informed community where the needs of all are met.
To promote a widespread awareness of the costly effects of personal adversity upon the well being of the community.
- Improve student academic performance
- Improve teacher/student/parent engagement
- Better informed parents and community partnerships
- Better integration of community services
- Improve school and community engagement
- Secure sustainable resources